Open Innovation Manager Battery Japan
Japan, Tokyo (UJ)
New Business Incubation
Posted on 05-07-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubation
Umicore’s commitment to creating a sustainable future relies on innovation in all areas of business. As we keep pushing our boundaries and strive to set new industry standards, embracing advanced technologies has never been more essential. By finding these technologies we can navigate challenges and enhance our capabilities. By sharing different ideas, we can develop new business units or establish new divisions within our organisation. This is where contribution and collaboration are the drivers of real change. Where individual thought is identified, incubated and nurtured for growth in years to come. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
• Developing Umicore innovation ecosystem for Lithium-ion battery materials in Japan
• Responsible for technology monitoring and technology development collaboration projects (start-up, companies, academia) in Japan
• Connecting internal teams and leveraging opportunities to cross-link ideas and solutions
• You will keep yourself aware of the latest relevant technology developments through ecosystem monitoring, scientific literature & patent review, participation to conferences and visits and meetings with universities, research institutes, start-ups, and industrial partners.
• Identify technology opportunities for Umicore and make recommendations on potential collaboration projects.
• Setting up and manage joint projects with technology partners. You follow-up and report (internally & externally) on the execution of the open innovation projects and you regularly align with the internal programs
• Become a reference resource to internal teams and external partners in the technical domain and geographic area
Who we are looking for
• With PhD or equivalent experience in materials science, solid-state chemistry/physics, electrochemistry or chemical engineering
• With good fundamental knowledge of Lithium-ion batteries technology and science
• With experience in the Lithium-ion battery industry and understanding of the technology, ecosystem and market is required
• With excellent communication skills, who are good relationship builders and have the ability to proactively build networks of contacts inside and outside of the organization
• With transversal management skills and the ability to align internal teams and external partners. Willingness to travel within Japan.
• Fluent in both Japanese and English
• With the ability to analyze numerical data, access and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our technologies can make the world better connected, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?